The Canadian Women Golfers Inc. (CWGI) began in 1995 as a small group of women interested in playing golf with other women. The founder, Norma Burlington, was passionate about golf and created a club that is fun, flexible, and convenient club for women. She ran the club for 10 years until she lost her battle with cancer.
Bonnie Robinson took over for Norma and was the President of the club for 10 years. The club continued to grow under Bonnie’s leadership, and more opportunities to golf were organized.
Donna Sullivan has been the President of the club since 2014, and she brings her energy and excitement to the club.
THE GOAL of CWGI
Our goal is to provide a fun and comfortable environment for women to take up, or continue playing, and improve their game of golf while expanding friendships, improving networks, and giving back to the community.
HOW CWGI WORKS
CWGI is an online based club with a group of member-coordinators who organize golf games at most golf courses in the National Capital Region (NCR). Members have many choices to play 9 holes or 18 holes, at different courses, on different days of the week.
Member-coordinators are members who book tee times with courses, post the game on the CWGI website, organize foursomes and meet and greet members who have signed up to play at the golf course.
Members register online on the CWGI website to play at any of the organized games. There is no limit to how many games you can play. All you have to do is show up and pay your green fees of which CWGI does receive discounts (10-15%) at many of the courses. We organize the games, tee times and foursomes so you always have someone with whom to play.
In addition to 9 and 18 hole games available almost daily, CWGI also offers lessons and Special Events such as:
• Member Appreciation Reception, complimentary to all the ladies;
• Complimentary New Member Orientation Session
• In addition to our regular golf lesson packages this year we are introducing 1Day Golf Workshops and Clinics for all levels in early May – to get a good start to the season.
• May 1 the Season kicks off with the regular 9 and 18 hole games
• Opening Tournament at Loch March.
• Charity 9 hole game at Loch March “Swing for Success”. This is our major fund-raising event for Dress for Success and will be open to non-members.
• June, July and August there will be overnight getaways and one day bus trips to out of town courses.
• August 21-27 the CP Women’s Canadian Open is being held at the Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club and CWGI has adopted a hole for which we will be responsible for the Marshalling throughout the course of the tournament
• CWGI Closing Tournament and Banquet at the Gatineau Golf and Country Club
• September 23-30 a 7-day golf/wine tour/Shaw festival trip. There are still a few openings for this.
All financial transactions for events are done on line.
GIVING BACK to the COMMUNITY
CWGI is proud to support organizations in the Ottawa Area that provide resources to women and children in our community. We have various fund raising activities throughout the golf season and all funds raised at these events goes to our Charity of Choice. Some of the Charities that we have supported are Interval House, Harmony House, Cornerstone and St. Joes Women’s Center. We are very excited that starting this year we are partnering with Dress for Success, an organization that prepares women to enter or return to the work force.